[AlternC-dev] trying to temper the ruby choice ...

The Anarcat anarcat at anarcat.ath.cx
Mer 15 Aou 19:17:10 CEST 2007

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 10:18:34AM +0200, Benjamin Sonntag wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Anarcat wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 05:35:30PM +0200, Benjamin Sonntag wrote:
> >

> >> So we (Metaconsult) just started to think on a v2.0 that may be written
> >> in php ... using a php framework
> >> We didn't started to develop anything yet, but really want to discuss
> >> this issue on this list ...
> >> Do we want to produce a v2.0 as soon as possible ?
> >
> > My answer here would be "no". I want to produce a stable 1.0 as soon as
> > possible and start working on small, disposable prototypes for a v2.0
> > "some time soon" (which, considering my shrinking schedule, could mean
> > anything from autumn to next summer).
>
> I will not start any code writing on 2.0 until the 1.0 is bug-free, and
> until we know where and how we gonna go with this new version, and I am
> ok with this.

I'm not saying we should not start working on 2.0 right away, it's just
that we shouldn't hurry. We don't want a 2.0 "as soon as possible", we
want something that works.

And 1.0 will never be bug-free, by design.

> Anyway, I don't think it's a good idea to ask Daniel to work on the
> existing project if AlternD is gonna be a rewrite.
> However, if you think that the learning curve to be able to help AlternC
> 1.0 debugging is not that hard for him (he is a good php developer), I
> can ask him to look at 1.0 and help us with this. I have no fixed idea
> on what we should do...
>
> (a response will be gladly read)

I think there are a few bugs that are "accessible" (in that they could
easily be fixed by a PHP developper) in AlternC, namely problems with
forms or other things like this. There are a few patches sitting in the
queue that could be committed... I'm saying this, but then again, I'm
not too well conscious of what exactly needs to be done for 1.0, on the
whole...

[...]
> >> * Quick framework comparison (the frameworks in this list are known to
> >> be the best php frameworks in php)
> >> http://www.phpit.net/demo/framework%20comparison/chart.php
> >>
> >> There may be some problem : if we use ruby, we may use it to handle
> >> configuration files management and server-side treatments.
> >> PHP will certainly not be the perfect language for this (shell scripts |
> >> ruby scripts | php scripts | perl scripts may by use for system
> >> administration scripts, but they are not equivalents ...) But it is
> >> still possible with php.
> >
> > Yes, but it (php) sucks for this. As "ruby" in itself or any application
> > we'll design from ground up.
> >
> > The idea was to join efforts with another community: AlternC is more
> > than a "control panel", it is part of a more general "configuration
> > management" problem. (In fact, I would say that v2.0 should be able to
> > control an arbitrary number of services and easily be extended to
> > provide SSH, FastCGI, WebDAV or other services to the users hosted on
> > the platform.)
> >
> > In that perspective, we have the choice of reusing an existing piece of
> > software to solve the configuration management problem (ie. puppet,
> > cfengine, etc) or write our own.
> >
> I just talked about puppet with Nicolas (a big sysadmin) yesterday, and
> we really agreed on this :
>
> puppet (or cfengine) are not solving the configuration management issue
> : they are just giving us some tools to handle those issues. It's a big
> step though, but it still required a fairly big amount of work to really
> solve this so big sysadmin issue ...

Of course. the general problem can't be solved by tools alone. But it
goes a long way.

> Puppet don't currently have a really good community sharing recipes, and
> the developers are not really nice with patches coming from the
> community : they have their idea on how things must be done, and this
> may not help the adoption of puppet by system administrators (I may give
> some example but I'm too lazy as for now...)

I'm sure we'll find that every other project out there has similar
issues. If we want to rewrite our own puppet (no pun intended), we'll
have the same issue (but reverse of course): we'll have a very small
community of people sharing recipes... Even smaller, I'd say.

[...]

> >> If you think about it, yes, it means that puppet will certainly not be
> >> used for this v2.0, but I also talked on puppet at the CCC Camp and the
> >> guy who use it for years in a German university told me that puppet
> >> learning curve is also huge, and that the developers don't want it to
> >> get to far away from a certain point of view, which will undoubtedly be
> >> problematic for AlternC (we are not maintaining many servers, but one
> >> (or up to ten) machines with many services ...)
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand what you mean here: are you saying that Puppet
> > is aimed at managing more servers than your typical AlternC
> > installation?
>
> What I (hardly) try to explain here is a fear that puppet learning curve
> and the work we have to do on recipes may be so huge that it prevent us
> to make some good work in a reasonable amount of time ...

I'm not sure I agree with this, but since I seem to be the only one
motivated to start working on recipes, I won't block anything. :)

> However, I still think that puppet is the only tool that can help us
> resolving the config file problem, so it may be bad to do anything
> without him.
> (in fact it depends on the amount of work I feel like putting on new
> AlternC version, and my opinion on puppet follows this variation ...
> sometimes I like it for its power, sometimes I fear it for its hard
> learning curve)

In my opinion, we should put a lot of work on AlternC v2.0, especially
on the conceptual level. Which means not starting to code in PHP right
away, but working more on design documents, and starting with test
cases and usage scenarios, for example.

Hard work, and not as stimulating as coding PHP. :p

Then again, I'm all for an incremental approach where we produce lots of
small proof-of-concept prototypes (spikes).

> >>     [ Conclusion ]
> >>
> >> (regarding Daniel work)
> >> If we go and do the v2.0 in PHP, Daniel will work on AlternC v2.0 most
> >> of its time (at least 50% monthly), depending on the work he had on
> >> Metaconsult, collaborating with other developers to obtain a v2.0
> >> quickly. He will just follow the guidelines we give him. AlternC as an
> >> organization may also help financially its work to make it go faster
> >> (Daniel will, in this case, be 100% dedicated to the project) : in that
> >> case we may discuss this point in IRC since most of the informations out
> >> there may be confidential (how, how much, why & so on...)
> >>

> > We definitly have to meet to discuss the financial details, that's for
> > sure. As I understand, we do have some money to invest in AlternC, and
> > that seemed to have stalled after my original "bounties" proposals:
> >
> > https://alternc.org/wiki/FondsDuLibre
> >
> > Now as for Daniel's work, I guess that it's up to you (Metaconsult) to
> > choose how he will work, but it's nice to hear about it. :)
>
> yes, let's talk about it on IRC, just tell me there when you are
> available and I will be there on time.

Next tuesday, 18h00 heure de paris, 12h00 heure de montréal?

> >> (regarding AlternC's future)
> >> At the moment, I guess we should go to a v2.0 using php v5 and Mysql 5,
> >> with MVC development & using something like Zend Framework, creating a
> >> modularized web panel.
> >
> > I'm not too hot on the Zend stuff, I'd rather go with Cake, Symphony,
> > Seagull or ZooP, according to the comparison chart. We should also
> > consider Drupal.
> >
> > That is for the frontend. For the backend, I'm still interested in
> > working on Puppet or another configuration management engine:
> >
> > https://alternc.org/wiki/SystemConfiguration
> >
> > Otherwise, if we stick with PHP all the way, I'd rather look at what
> > other projects are doing (syscp, ravencore and gplhost are all PHP-based,
> > as far as I know, and are very complete software that we shouldn't try
> > to reinvent for ourselves).
>
> Yes, but none of them looks nice regarding the usability, and many if
> not all are completely written from scratch : they do not use any stuff
> like puppet or a frontend framework.

Syscp does use a configuration agent and supports distributing services
amongst more than one machine.

> In my opinion, in the modern web world, it's really a big drawback since
> it prevents anyone to come and help easily, and also prevents a fluent
> adaptation to new services and softwares.

It's all a matter of documentation and proper code writing, in my
opinion. Wether you use your own framework (e.g. Drupal wrote their own)
or reuse an existing one, the adoption from the community will come with
code clarity and proper documentation. For example, Drupal's API is
quite well documented even if they have their own internal framework.

AlternC is also documented, but the internal design is so obscure that
the documentation can't suffice. We need to fix this.

> That's also what AlternD should focus on

Focus on what? Having a nice framework? :)

> > In other words, for me, the only interest in AlternD is to get it to
> > work on multiple machines easily, with solid config file management and
> > easy extensibility. If we just rewrite AlternC in PHP5, we won't be
> > anywhere closer to this, in my opinion.
>
> Yes, my point was not just to rewrite AlternC in PHP5, but really make
> it the way we already talked about it as you write up there.

Cool. :)

> I just wanted to point out the problems with Ruby & Rails learning
> curve, age, and real lack of competent developers in this field, that
> will surely prevent us to develop easily a complete, usable, secured
> frontend.

I don't really care about RoR. What I care about is a well-documented
and solid backend. I do have to remind people here that friends of mine
at riseup.net are writing a RoR control panel, and that there are people
working on rails, maybe just not on your side right now... We just need
to coordinate the efforts.

> (Sorry for those long and complex answers, but we are really in front
> of a big problem, let's take some time to discuss on it :) )

Of course.

--
Les écrivains qui ont recours à leurs doigts pour savoir s'ils ont leur
compte de pieds ne sont pas des poètes, ce sont des tactylographes.