[AlternC-dev] some changes to install procedure and packaging

The Anarcat anarcat at anarcat.ath.cx
Mar 7 Oct 17:23:00 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 10:27:00AM +0200, Dominique Rousseau wrote:
> Le Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 06:18:41PM -0400, The Anarcat [anarcat at koumbit.org] a écrit:
> [...]
> > +    * builtin postgrey and Spamhaus blacklisting configuration
>
> I don't think enabling Spamhaus BL by *default* to be a great idea.
> Spamhaus aren't the worst of the BL, but by using BL, you are delegating
> the decision of who can or cannot write tou you. That decision should be
> something made conciously by an administrator, and not because it's
> enabled by default.

I somehow agree with that. The reason I activated postgrey and spamhaus
is a bit egoistical: we're using that configuration at Koumbit and I
didn't want to break our setup (as the first install of 0.9.9 *will*
overwrite current smtpd_recipient_restrictions settings). The other
reason is that we *have* to modify smtpd_recipient_restrictions if we
want SASL auth to work, so might as well have proper defaults.

Besides, I think that those antispam technique reduce spam by around
90-95%. I think it's a good thing that AlternC (and not any mailserver,
mind you) configures proper antispam measures, the same way it
configures SASL or other parameters.

> Besides, it's great to have another package where the main configuration
> file is not tampered with :)

Yeah! :) We have to start somewhere.

A.

--
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes
hurtling down the highway.